You’re now on the fourth day of your advent calendar, you’ve booked your extortionately priced ticket home for the holidays and you’ve chomped your way through your first mince pie of the season, but you still haven’t got that Christmas cheer that Buddy The Elf wants to give you so badly? No worries. I have five remedies up my sleeve that should rustle up some kind of festive flavour in your belly. And they’re somewhat beauty related. Quelle surprise.
1. My first tip is easy because it is well and truly time to crack out those Christmas-scented candles. You know you’ve got ‘em somewhere. Dust off that one you didn’t finish last year and get burning. There’s nothing like a whiff of orange and cinnamon to lift your spirits. If you did manage to finish your stash last year and are in need of a replacement, here are my top three:Â Diptyque Feu de Bois Candle,Â MUJI Candle in Mandarin and CinnamonÂ andÂ Space NK Shimmering Spice CandleÂ - the latter of which is my current fave.
2. Nothing says it’s winter time like the unwelcome reappearance of tired, zombie-looking skin and dry flakey patches. Noice. There’s something about the inclusion of oils into my skincare routine that signals to me that the cold snap is well and truly here, so I suggest throwing one in post-serum, pre-moisturiser to ramp up juiciness.Â Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery ConcentrateÂ andÂ Pai Rosehip Bioregenerate OilÂ both get the job done.
3. Christmassy makeup is elementary; a good base to disguise your Bailey’s rouged complexion, lashings of mascara for definition and a red lip as a homage to the season – will be sure to get you in the mood. May I suggest the Â Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk FoundationÂ followed by a course of theÂ MaxFactor False Lash Effect Waterproof Mascara, finishing off withÂ Tom Ford Lip Colour in Wild Ginger. Pow that’s your Christmas Day look right there.
4. A bit of sparkle on the nails is kinda the done thing in December. Personally I’m a fan of gold; chic, classy and in a tone that fits in with my monochrome-centric wardrobe pretty well. Two favourites of mine areÂ OPI Nail Polish in Bring On The Bling – I wheel this one out every year, it’s the most gorgeously opaque glitter I own, but I have a soft spot forÂ Essie Nail Polish in Beyond Cozy too, a mixed silver and gold affair.
5. And when all else fails - bring out the Christmas CDs. In our family we play one that my Dad purchased all the way back in 1994, when the most ‘current’ song on it was East 17′s ‘Stay Now’. My Sister and I know it so well we start singing the next song before it’s even started. Another good’un isÂ Love Actually The Original Soundtrack, quite simplyÂ because it’s such an awesome film. If I could, I’d have that and Elf on repeat continuously throughout December. ‘Santa’s coming – I know him!’
And yes that’s fake snow in the pictures and it’s currently dispersing itself into every single crevasse of the flat. Great stuff.