So I’ve been scratching my chin, furrowing my brow and pondering the topic of skincare a lot recently. Priorities, right? But there’s just something about my current regime that just isn’t clicking. I’ve done my research, going out of my way to select formulas that settle on the right balance between both natural and effective ingredients, taken direction from the experts, drinking a shedload of water, heck even exercising – but my skin just ain’t thanking me for it. It’s redder in places than it’s been in a long time and a little uneven in texture – not horrendous – but it’s seen better days. So what am I going to do about it? Well luckily I’ve been keeping notes on this one…
- I think it’s time for me to oomph up my manual exfoliation. I’ve kicked all kinds of scrubbers to the side since I’ve introduced AHA-based chemical polishes into my routine, but I think it’s time to slowly introduce an ol’ friend back into the clique – my Clarisonic Mia. The real reason this has been out of action for so long is that it required a fresh head. The one that was on it was the same one it exited the box with almost two years ago now *shudders*, I know. But I’ve manned up, purchased a new one and am slowly bringing this back and my face feels clean.Â
- When life gives you a red face, you go back to your ‘I know this isn’t going to break me out‘-backup supplies. Turns out through the powers of deduction and a quick flick through my YouTube archives there’s some really good products that I shunned when something newer landed on my desk due to my attention span of my old goldfish, Billy. Origins Night-A-Mins, what happened to you? Nude Perfect Cleansing Oil come back. And a few months ago I found an amazing moisturiser that for some unknown reason I discontinued use of – Kiehl’s Skin Rescuer Stress-Minimising Daily Hydrator* – it’s back in the frontline.
- Sleep - I love it. And a routine that took a fair amount of time to complete before bed and cut into my evening The Office viewing was always a bit of a problem. I’m thinking of shaving out a few steps and stripping it back to a cleanse-tone-serum moisturise thing. Five minutes. Dunzo.
- Not so much a tangible point, but I’ve come to the realisation that I know my skin pretty well. We’ve been together for 23 years now and I’ve got a rough idea of what my skin does and doesn’t like, the fact that it will go red if you come at me with that By Terry skincare, but will look kick-ass if I sleep in the Origins Drink-Up Intensive Mask. There’s so much literature out there that’s contradictory and it can get in your headspace a bit; but take a rain check, evaluate your routine and you’ll work it out. I’ll keep you posted on how my rejig works out.
- So here’s how it currently looks:
- Morning: Radical Hydrating Cleanser* (another oldie I forgot about) muslined off, La Roche Posay Serozinc, Pai Echium Anti-Ageing Eye Cream* Hydraluron, Kiehl’s Skin Rescuer Stress-Minimising Daily Hydrator*, Kiehl’s Ultra Light Daily Light UV Defense SPF 50*.
- Evening: Nude Perfect Cleansing Oil, Radical Hydrating Cleanser* Clarisonic-ed off, La Roche Posay Serozinc, Pai Echium Anti-Ageing Eye Cream*, EstÃ©e Lauder Advanced Night Repair, Origins Oil-Free Night-A-Mins.
- Additions: I’ll P50 it up, on days when I decide against the Clarisonic – it’s all in the balance. And on days where I really can’t be arsed I’ll just cleanse in the evening and slap on the Alpha H Liquid Gold.
A few changes, but it’s back to the good stuff. Thank gawd for the blog acting like a skincare dairy – what would I do without you?Â